Friday, November 6, 2009

13 Tweets Today

we weren't counting so it was with great curiosity that I went to see how we did.  The typos are atrocious but the meaning of the messages "came through" OK.  There were 13 total posts, or Tweets as they are called by other dittoheads who use this crazy medium.  I posted the first two and then Susun got on my case about the safety issues of me posting the tweets.  So, I said, "Well, then YOU are going to have to do it!"  As you know, Susun's a technophobe and she didn't exactly freak out but anyone could tell she was nervous about the whole deal--learning a whole new trade "on the fly," so to speak.  I was very proud of her, she jumped right in and decided to tackle the task with great tenacity and style.  Before you know it, BAM--she was a texting fool!  She really got into it and I would dictate the content and she would text it.  She called me her "dictator."  I dunno if that was a compliment or what.

She even texted one of her daughters and got a reply and then replied to the reply.  WOW, this was like the day Marconi radioed over to Europe or Edison discovered light bulbs or Morse cracked his own code--it was awesome!  I did do a few when we were stopped but she carried the weight of those 13 tweets.  It was great.  Pretty soon, she was talking about getting an iPhone!  Now, THAT's progress.

I thought the use of Twitter in this application worked pretty well.  Granted, no one is particularly interested in two old snowbirds driving down an interstate highway.  But it's the principle that counts here.  This is a "proof of concept" exercise.  Let's say we were doing something really important like returning library books or feeding the neighbor's cat, we just KNOW there would be untold millions out there who would hang breathlessly on our every step!

Well, we will continue to use this tool through the trip.  The frequency of Tweets will most likely become fewer as time passes.  Doing 13 in one day is a LOT of Twittering.  Time will tell.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter