Monday, September 13, 2010

Tovrea Castle still alive

Even though this doesn't relate to the Verde Valley, per se, it is still all about an Arizona icon, a mythical symbol that hovers in the backbrains of untold generations of Arizona residents and visitors alike. There are few more iconic icons than Tovrea Castle, sitting as it does lonesome and aloof on a cactus-studded desert outcrop smack dab in the middle of urban insanity down in Phoenix. Susun grew up casting glances Tovrea's way. Personally, I can't think of a more haunting and endearing landmark for the 1920's dreams of desert developers. There's something about Tovrea Castle that causes it to stick in your synapses. I can remember so many times when Susun's Late Mom or her Dad Don would make some remark about Tovrea Castle. Don simply couldn't drive past the place with starting some story or other about Tovrea.
It's that way for any one who's ever lived in Phoenix or been a regular visitor there.
I was very happy to find this story front and center on the September 13th issue of The Arizona Republic. I've archived it in our own Google Documents so it can be accessed forever. (Click here for the article.) If you know anything whatsoever about Tovrea, you are going to appreciate this story. Enjoy! Cheers, jp

2 comments:

  1. It was a point of fascination for me as a kid in Phx. My mom went to school with one of Alessio Carraro's kids, who arrived every day at Wilson Elementary School in a "long black fancy car". Italian persons being in fairly short supply in the valley in those days, it was of course presumed they were "shady". One thing I've always found amazing about that building is the fact that while it looks like it MUST be a masonry structure, it's actually almost entirely frame and stucco. I'm surprised it hasn't fallen down with all it's neglect. Putting a tour of this landmark on my bucket list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this every day on the way to work from the light rail or the car. I have always been very intrigued, and now have all the answers. Thanks John!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter